I launched and hosted an internal communications/social media chat on Twitter yesterday. I must send a special and heartfelt thanks to Beth Harte for her encouragement and support.
The thought process behind this chat is social media is a key tool for internal communications, not just external. I’ve started/introduced social media at two companies now, and I know there are many, many internal communicators who have done so as well. In addition, there are many who want and recognize the need to add the appropriate tools, but are facing hurdles.
Soooo, I decided to create a chat to bring us all together so we can share, learn, and create.
This conversation turned immediately towards the topic listed above: how to introduce and obtain buy-in for social media as a tool for internal communications. I’m sharing some of the comments below:
- susancellura @BethHarte Break down barriers by combining sm with town halls, etc., so they recognize it is another forum for discussion #icchat
- susancellura Biz case was that they were doing monthly msgs, so why not compliment the formal msg with a casual discussion on related items? #icchat
- creativecomms @alsotracey #icchat: Orgs now using video, pcasts, to help comm with emply. Rating & tagging & commenting also used to help w/feedback.
- lindabeth @alliemac01 To encourage use, identify pains/problems for employee groups and prove how new platform makes their job easier. #icchat
- paulacassin @alliemac01 #icchat it’s also important to make it very easy to contribute (i.e. avoid new registration, extra logins 2 remember, etc)
- BethHarte @susancellura If I were an int’l comms pro…what are three starting tips you’d provide? #icchat
- susancellura @BethHarte 1) Research your business case 2) B able 2 explain how it helps achieve biz goals 3) Think like the biz ldr when pitching #icchat
- paulacassin #icchat way to introduce SM: as part of strategic project (reloc, ERP rollout) needing major behavior change. Blog/Q&A 4 feedback/why/how
- lindabeth @alliemac01 I second @sarahlynnpablo ‘s suggestion to consider beta test with small group. Creates support, future resources. #icchat
- lindabeth Lots of potential for internal social media to spark greater teamwork. Personal pages w/in platform can make greater connections. #icchat
There were so many good ideas, questions and answers flowing back and forth. Please contribute your thoughts, ideas and best practices as well.
I moderate #icchat every Wednesday at 12 noon CST/1 pm EST. I look forward to more fascinating and educational conversations with you. For the next chat, I’m leaning towards the question, “How important is social media to internal communications?” Please join us!