For the past six months, my team and I have been working with the web programmers to update the business intranet site. It was horribly out of date, not user-friendly or even business-focused.
The site went live today and while we expect a few more requests for edits will come our way, we have been pleasantly surprised at the “Kudos” e-mails we are receiving. (Usually it’s more like “no news is good news”.)
I’d like to say we were all fabulously clairvoyant and knew exactly what to do to make the site a success, but the reality is that we made sure we didn’t operate in a vacuum.
From the start, we included the business employees in the project. We interviewed employees in each business unit and made sure we connected with those located in different countries. We asked them how they currently used the site and how they wanted to use the site. As we put together the wireframes and built out the site, we continued to engage employees and team leaders by holding conference calls or sending them previews. This was to ensure we all stayed on the same page (no pun intended), and we got as much information right from the beginning.
So, as the site went live today, it was, for all purposes, correct!! It was well thought out, many dead and duplicate pages had been deleted (savings right there!) and so far, employees like the fact that the most used tools and links are up front. In addition, the site is set up to help us achieve the goal of explaining and defining what the business as a whole does and how it benefits the company.
Needless to say, we stacked the odds in our favor, and it paid off – including employees is key to achieving your communication objectives.